Monday, June 25, 2012

Synchronicity for the Day: Words No. 1

Saturday morning I enjoyed an obvious and immediate synchronicity. I opened up my web browser, and as I glanced around one of the things I saw was a news article headline about a raccoon that was rescued from a storm drain in Michigan. I did not click on the link to the article, but went to check out my Facebook messages. In my in-box I was treated to a detailed account from my mother about how she discovered a raccoon at her front door during the night, and how its complete lack of fear of humans forced her to almost close the door in its face because it would have sauntered right into the house. 

These two "raccoon" mentions were within less than a minute of each other. This is a good example of how I use event timing to judge whether I will count an occurrence as a synchronicity. Raccoon is not a word that I necessarily hear every day, but it's not that uncommon. But because I saw the word in two places only a few seconds apart, I'm choosing to record this instance. If the two occurrences were a day or more apart, I would probably not count them. I'm kind of using the question, "What are the odds?" as my personal yardstick. At this time I have no assessment of the meaning behind this particular instance.

No comments:

Post a Comment