Friday, June 1, 2012

Little Fish in a Big Pond?


This jolting dose of perspective may make some of us feel insignificant, helpless, or even apathetic about their role in the grand scheme of things. Not me. It reminds me that I am a part of something universal, profound, beautiful, and infinite. It doesn't matter how big or small of a part I am. Some people sigh that they are only a tiny fish in a big pond, only one of myriad others. But each one is essential, and important. Because if you are not important, then nobody is important. And if no one matters, then it would be just the same if none of us were here at all, right? Wrong. Everyone matters. Everyone and everything is connected, and no chain holds together with broken links.

Once in a great while I manage to stumble upon a conscious awareness of this infinite connection. It has only happened maybe two or three times in my life thus far, but on those occasions it brought a lump to my throat because the feeling was so immense, the connection so far-reaching. That is what I wish everyone could really have a chance to feel, at least one time. I'm hoping that my path leads to a better understanding of how to experience this awareness intentionally, rather than by happy accident as I have so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment