Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Synchronicity for The Day: Music No. 2

Last Sunday I was invited to see a relative's metal band play at a bar. I happily agreed to go, as I was excited to see him playing at some different venues. He told me on the phone that the band would be playing a couple of their own songs, and a couple of covers. One was a Judas Priest song, and another was a Blue Öyster Cult song called Godzilla, which he assured me I would recognize once I heard it. While I like me some metal, in the interest of full disclosure, I was a little kid in the 80s, so to be fair, I'm not intimately familiar with every song that was popular on rock radio at the time, unless it was by one of my favorite bands.

So I get to the bar, whose name suggests that it is a "Bar & Grill," although the "grill" portion consists of about five obligatory booths off to one side of the bar near the bathrooms where no one wants to hang out anyway, so let's just call it a bar, and I find a table near the stage. I have time to kill before his band is up, so I enjoy people-watching and playing a game I like to call, "How close am I to crossing that line?" This is a game I play with myself wherein I observe women who are way too old to be dressed like they are 18 and/or like it's 1986 they're trying to get the attention of a roadie at a Warrant concert. My hope is that I'll have the good sense to know my limits and somehow be aware of when I've reached the you're-too-old-to-be-wearing-that limit and just not do it. My I-don't-care-what-people-think-of-me attitude competes with this level of self-awareness, however, so I think it will be a challenge for me to know when I'm crossing the line.

His band takes the stage, and they make their way through their set to Godzilla. I was embarrassed to admit that I cannot say I remember ever hearing this song before. OK. I can live with that. The band was good and I'm glad I went.

This morning as I'm driving to work and listening to the radio, they were playing an old clip of a live version of Godzilla that was performed in the studio of this radio show some years prior. Now here is a song that I heard live last Sunday, and despite being told that it was a popular song and that I would know it, I didn't know it and was hearing it for the first time as far as I can remember. And then three days later, I'm hearing it again, and another live version to boot. I made it 30 years without hearing this song once, a song that apparently was a major hit, and now I hear it twice in a few days.



I've thought about what this particular synchronicity might be pointing out, and so far I haven't arrived at any conclusions, but I've committed to logging these as they happen, so here it is. If it turns out to mean anything later, which these things sometimes do, I'll update the post.

No comments:

Post a Comment